Shri. Banwarilal Purohit
Chancellor & Hon'ble Governor of Tamil Nadu
Dr. Sudha Seshayyan
Vice-Chancellor of TNMGRMU
Thiru. Ch. Vidyasagar Rao
Chancellor & Hon'ble Governor of Tamil Nadu
Shri Chennamaneni Vidyasagar Rao who took charge as Governor of Maharashtra on 30th August 2014 brings with him a vast and varied experience in public life.
A senior BJP leader from Telangana, Shri Vidyasagar Rao has served as Union Minister of State for Home Affairs and subsequently as Union Minister of State for Commerce and Industry in the Government led by Shri. Atal Behari Vajpayee from 1999 – 2004.
Shri Vidyasagar Rao was elected to the 12th Lok Sabha from Karimnagar constituency in 1998 for the first time. In the year 1999, he was elected as President of the State unit of the BJP. He was re-elected to the 13th Lok Sabha in the year 1999.
Prior to becoming a Member of Parliament, he was elected thrice to the Legislative Assembly of undivided Andhra Pradesh in 1985, 1989 and 1994 from Metpalli Assembly constituency in Karimnagar District. He was the Floor leader of BJP in the Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly for three consecutive terms.
Born on 12th February 1942, Shri Vidyasagar Rao was an activist of the RSS since childhood. After obtaining B.Sc., he secured LLB from the Law College of Osmania University where he was also elected as President of the Students’ Union. He was actively associated with the Akhil Bhartiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP).
Shri Vidyasagar Rao started law practice in Karimnagar in the year 1973. He also served as President of Jansangh and as President of Janata Party, Karimnagar district.
Shri Vidyasagar Rao is married to Smt Vinoda and the couple has one daughter and two sons.
Shri Chennamaneni Vidyasagar Rao has assumed office as Acting Governor of Tamil Nadu on 2nd September 2016.
About The Emblem
About The University
The need to have a separate Medical University in Tamilnadu exclusively to deal with medical education and research at Under graduate, Post graduate and Doctoral level was keenly felt for over a period of years and was under consideration of the State Government since 1980. The State Government appointed a High Level Committee consisting of Dr. A. Venugopal, Dr. M. Natarajan and Dr. S. Kameswaran to go into all aspects of establishing a separate Medical University and make suitable recommendations to the State Government.
The members of the High Level Committee consisting of Dr. S. Arumugam, Dr. M. Natarajan and Dr. S. Kameswaran submitted the proposals to the Hon. Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu Hon Dr. M.G. Ramachandran in the presence of Hon. Dr. H.V. Hande, Hon. Minister for Health and Family Welfare, Government of Tamil Nadu on 5.7.1983 to start a separate Medical University in Tamil Nadu
Apart from modern medicine, the Committee was also requested to examine and suggest improvements to be made in other traditional systems of Indian Medicine viz. Siddha, Ayurveda and Unani. The intension was that the Medical University to be established in Tamil Nadu should bring about co-ordination between various educational and training institutions of modern medicine as well as other Indian Systems of Medicine, Dentistry, Nursing, Pharmacy, etc. and promote research. Based on the report of the Committee, the Medical University was established by the Government of Tamil Nadu.
The Tamil Nadu Medical University Act, 1987 (Act No.37 of 1987) received the assent of the President of India on 24th September, 1987. By an Act No. 39 of 1991, it was amended that the Act may be called "The Tamil Nadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University, Chennai, Act, 1987. This affiliating University governed by the said Act started functioning from July 1988. The Students admitted to the various Medical and Paramedical courses after 1.3.1988 come under this Medical University as per Government notification issued in G.O.Ms.No.1628/Health, Indian Medicine and Homoeopathy and Family Welfare Department dated 23.08.1988.
The Administrative office of the University was initially functioning in a building at Velachery Road, Guindy, Chennai - 600 032 from 12.07.1988. From May 1989 the administrative office of the University was functioning at a seven storeyed building owned by Periyar Trust at 52, E.V.K. Sampath Salai, Vepery, Chennai- 600 007. The University has constructed its administrative complex in the land at Nawab Garden, Guindy allotted by the Government of Tamil Nadu as per G.O. Ms. No. 1165, Health and Family Welfare Department dt. 21.10.1992. The University is now functioning in its own building at Nawab Garden, 69, Anna Salai, Guindy, Chennai - 600 032 with effect from 12.6.1994.
This is the only Medical University in Tamil Nadu capable of granting affiliation to new institutions under Government or Self-financing in Medical, Dental, Indian Medicine/Homoeopathy & Allied Health Sciences(Pharmacy, Nursing, Physiotherapy, Occupational therapy etc.) and awarding degrees under a single umbrella to maintain uniform and high standards of education. Until 1988, all degrees of Health Sciences were awarded by the University of Madras.
The University also promotes research and disseminates knowledge gained therefrom. The University has been declared eligible by the UGC u/s 12(B) of the UGC Act 1956 for receiving central assistance. (UGC letter No. F.9-14/2007 [CPP-I] dt 12.3.2008).